March 1, 2012

Patchie [Vacations]: Luray, VA! [Part I]


We left home sometime around noon last Friday to threatening skies. Our area was under a tornado watch, but we lucked out and besides a 10 minute downpour and a few passing showers right after we stopped for lunch (at Sonic. Just in time for Happy Hour. I miss Sonic!) we didn't get very bad weather. Apparently we did even better than we thought - home got quite a bit of hail and some damaging winds. We left just in time!

The trip is only about 2 1/2 hours long, which makes it easy to take a pit stop or two and explore. While I drove The Boy was playing with the Around Me app on the iPhone and mentioned we were getting ready to pass a vineyard.

Have you met us? Of course we had to stop.


It was Old House Vineyards in Culpeper, and it was pretty. I wish it wasn't raining, because we would have loved to wander around the grounds. But this one is close enough to hit maybe in a day trip in the spring when everything is in bloom. And the wine was very good too - we had trouble walking away with only one bottle!


We hit Luray late afternoon and checked into the Mimslyn and The Boy surprised me with an enormous suite! It had multiple rooms and a hot tub and an awesome view. It was the perfect surprise! Not wanting to waste daylight (and the last bit of slightly-warm weather), we headed to a local park to take a quick walk. We knew the rest of the weekend wasn't going to be hiking weather, so we wanted to get a decent walk in while we could.







That night we ate an amazing dinner (I had trout that came out of that very water we had just walked by - delicious!) and enjoyed a few drinks while we listened to a local duo play. We enjoyed a movie by the fire in our suite that night.

After months of going non stop it was a wonderful first day - we did just enough to keep us entertained but it was relaxing and laid back.

As a side note, I don't know what was up with my photography that weekend. The lighting was weird because of the weather so that didn't help, but my settings were all over the place and I really had to run everything through Lightroom which made them look more processed than I like. Although I'm probably the only one who notices. Looks like I need to get out and play with my camera more. I'm out of practice! 

No comments: