December 1, 2011

Way Back When[sday]: Prepping for Christmas!

Happy December! Even if you took out the holidays this month is crazy busy for me - besides the various theatre-related things and wedding-related things for Marizabeth, I have three photo shoots in the next four days! I've had super hectic years like this in the past and the Christmas Spirit can escape me pretty quickly when things start hitting the grindstone, so I'm trying to find little Christmas-y things to do throughout the month to help keep me in the spirit. Ashley over at Piloting Life posted a little questionnaire and since today is officially December, I thought it would be a good starting point!
 
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate. Although to be fair, I haven't tried Egg Nog in years. But I'm also kind of lactose intolerant, and I don't think there's a soy version of egg nog out there. Plus hot chocolate reminds me of being a little kid and coming in from the snow on The Cape and there'd be two cups of hot chocolate waiting in the kitchen for me and my brother.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
In our home they were always wrapped, even the ridiculous stuff that is almost impossible to wrap. Two of my favorite were I asked for a basketball one year and I came out and it was wrapped like a giant piece of candy. About five years alter my brother wanted a basketball hoop for our new house and only the net for the hoop, and the nuts and blots made their way under our tree. Watching my brother try to figure that one out was pretty funny!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I love both on a house as long as they are tasteful, and while I'm not picky about trees, I do seem to lean more towards the ones with white lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope. In fact, the first time I ever even saw mistletoe was the first winter after we moved into our new house and my dad pointed out that there was some growing in our neighbor's tree. When I get my own place I hope to add mistletoe to the yearly decorations! I think it's cute.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
As long as the majority of it is done after Thanksgiving I don't care when it happens and it tends to vary just because we're busy people. But in our house there's more snowmen and winter-y themed things than strictly "santa," so ours tend to stay up later than most peoples instead of going up earlier.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Ham. I love ham.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
Those Christmases on The Cape. Even though I have been up there many many more summers than winters there are some street I drive down and can remember so vividly being he back seat of my grandparents car coming home from the Chinese restaurant on Christmas Eve and looking at all the Christmas lights. I remember being with all my cousins and laying down under the Christmas tree and looking up at all the ornaments and lights. I remember more about those years on the Cape than I remember about the last 5 Christmases combined. I miss them very much, and maybe one year I can spend the holidays up there again.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
My parents were really good at it. They had a friend fill out the gift tags, the wrapping paper never matched, and I never found any of the presents (I will totally admit I had a "where are Mom's hiding places?" phase). I figured it out (I don't remember how), but my brother is 4 years younger so I just never said anything. My parents finally approached me and were all "you know a fat guy doesn't break into our house every year, right?" and I was all "Duh."

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Usually one, but the parents got to pick it out and it was usually for a good reason - pajamas for that night, jewelry to wear wherever we were going on Christmas Eve, etc.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
With ornaments that have been collected since my parents got married. I love how personal our tree is and I'd go into more detail, but this is totally going to be a blog post at some point this month!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I loved it more before I got a full time job. Now I want it to snow all weekend so I can have an excuse to sit with The Boy all day watching movies and drinking wine and knit. But I do still love snow! I just understand why adults usually hate it - especially the ones with longer commutes.

12. Can you ice skate?
Technically...yes. Am I any good at it? Absolutely not. But I'm good enough to say I have ice skated at Rockefeller Center, and that was kind of my goal. That's another thing I need to do again in the next few years!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Our first computer was a big deal, but the one that dad totally blindsided us with was our first iPods. I told my parents I kind of wanted one and my brother did too, and dad said "yes, eventually, but they just came out with a new one and they're too expensive. So maybe for your birthday." And three weeks later my brother and I opened them at the same time on Christmas morning. It's hard to surprise me and that was a total surprise!

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Traditions. And I know it's impossible to fit in every tradition every year and sometimes things just don't work out, but I love the little things that we do from year to year that remind me of when I was a kid. The last couple years a lot of those traditions have changed and I'm okay with that, too. New traditions are good too!

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Gingerbread fresh out of the oven. And snickerdoodles!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Since we're a small family, I love our Christmas mornings. We wake up and do our stockings first, usually in the family room or someplace away from the Christmas tree. After that we get our coffee or tea or hot chocolate or mimosas (don't judge me) and settle in around the tree to open presents, which we take our time with instead of everyone tearing into it all at once. It really takes up the majority of the morning, but it also lets us stretch that time out and really enjoy it. Going to The Boy's house was a total 180, because they barely waited for everyone to arrive before it was literally a hurricane of torn wrapping paper and flying arms. It was something totally new to me and was also pretty exciting!

17. What tops your tree?
My parents have an old silver star that we use most years. Every so often we switch it out for a star that lights up. Grandma and grandpa always had an angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving, but the receiving part isn't all that bad either!

19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum?
Yum, yum, yum.... and yum yum!

20. Favorite Christmas show? Show or movie?
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Elf are probably my top two.

21. Saddest Christmas Song?
I'll be Home for Christmas can be pretty depressing if you're in the wrong mood.

22. What is your favorite Christmas song?
My absolute favorite Christmas song ever is probably Snoopy vs. The Red Baron. I get so excited every time I hear it! My favorite album is pretty much any of them by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I really love almost all Christmas music. Except "Christmas Eve in Washington." That song is awful.

You should go check out Ashley's answers as well! And let me know if you fill this out as well. It got me thinking about Christmas and all the things I love and am looking forward to. Mission accomplished!

I think the WBW series this month is going to focus on the holidays and all the little traditions and things that make me love it so much. I'm excited to share!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

So this is a few days late, but I loved reading through your answers. I especially love how tricky your parents were at making sure you didn't find out about Santa.... I mean having a friend fill out the gift tags is pretty awesome. (:

Mine obviously didn't think about not having the wrapping paper match haha. Either that or they just wanted me to know.