September 28, 2011

Way Back When[sday]: Puppies!!!

As a theatre major in college we had very sporadic bouts of free time - "normal" college kids go to class during the day (or work) and work/play at night. We had random classes during the day and rehearsed all night, but someone would wind up with hours to kill mid-day a lot of the time. Hitting bars wasn't exactly the top thing to do at 11 in the morning, so we found other things to occupy ourselves with.

One of our favorites particularly during stressful weeks or days was to hit the local pet store. This remains one of the best pet stores I've ever been to and they were more than happy when it wasn't crowded to let us come in and play with the puppies so they got exercise. Plus who isn't in a better mood after playing with puppies?






Now don't get me wrong, I will never buy a puppy from a pet store. I strongly believe in humane societies (I visit them often, after all) or if you're set on a breed, a rescue league. We tried to do the local animal shelter once while in college but it was beyond depressing (my local one is actually very well maintained and the animals seem well cared for and in high spirits). But to play with some adorable puppies for a little while between classes and rehearsals when I need a pick-me-up and friends want to tag along? I'll hit a pet store any day.

Did/do you have anything you always do when you are having a particularly stressful week?

1 comment:

theolivetree said...

oh my goodness...I might die from all the cuteness!! I wanted to be a vet so I worked in a vet office and I was in charge of puppy daycare....LOVED IT! I realized very quickly I couldn't handle putting animals that were old or suffer down...so I went to art school instead :)