August 26, 2011

Patchie [Flourishes]

At this point I don't know if I'm going to make it to the Maryland Renaissance Festival this weekend (it's opening weekend) because I don't know how hard we're going to get hit by this hurricane.  But I was going through faire pictures from last year and was looking at all the pretty roses and thought "huh. I should share those."

There are rose sellers that roam all over the festival grounds selling the prettiest roses in so many colors. Last year I wound up with a lot of them - I bought them for myself and the girls I worked with or I would have them bought for me, either by friends or by The Boy when he came to hang out for the day. The most common thing to do with these flowers when you're in garb so you don't have to carry them around all day is to break the stem short and stick them in your bodice, like this -
They come with those little plastic water things so they don't die, and it's like a living necklace. Plus you can sport your gift for the world to see - it's win-win!

Also, before we really launch into faire season, I want to get something straight - it isn't a "costume." A costume is something you spend at most $60 on in a giant warehouse store during the month of October. It's called "Garb." Unless you really bargain shop or get great deals (which I've lucked out with in the past), someone dressed for the Renaissance Festival will have spent anywhere from $150 to thousands of dollars on the single outfit they're wearing. Those awesome leather boots? Probably cost them $500. That corset? Anywhere from $95 to $400. I totally get that not everyone gets the "lingo" and I'm never offended (except when people say "your little costumes." That's just rude.), but some people get downright insulted if you call it a costume.

Ok, end rant. I'll probably do a garb-only post at some point. What was I talking about? Right. Roses.

So anyways, I also love taking pictures of flowers and having a bunch of friends with roses shoved in their cleavage is a gold mine in all the wrong (or maybe right?) ways. And having a weekly flower let me keep it on my desk at work and it would keep me in high spirits all week until I could go back to faire.

So...right. Sharing. I'm all over the place today, aren't I? Here are some of the better ones from last year:



Hopefully I can do another post like this at the end of this season. Maybe I'll dedicate this week to some of the "best of's" from last year, since I have a feeling I'm going to be rained out from getting any decent pictures this weekend. Thoughts?

5 comments:

Mimi said...

i love love love roses! :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Laura Darling said...

Those flowers are GORGEOUS!

Belly B said...

The flowers are SO BEAUTIFUL. The rose is my favourite flower!

Belly B :)

Ashley Slater said...

These are beautiful pictures... I love roses. not red ones though. I like the ones with two colors like yellow/pink... the really soft looking ones. mmmmm..

AND, I am also (shamelessly) plugging a giveaway on my blog. But it is for a really cool vintage t-shirt (winner gets to choose their design from the website) so I don't feel too guilty about it ;) The Mitten State Vintage T-Shirt Giveaway!

xo,
ashley
The Mitten State Vintage T-Shirt Giveaway!

theolivetree said...

my mother in ;aw grows the most amazing roses...I have tried they always die...lol