July 20, 2011

Way Back When[sday]: O. Henry Shorts

I went to college in the home town of O. Henry - a short story author that the Russians are apparently obsessed with and is apparently an American legend, even though I had never heard of him until I finally asked one day "who is this person all these buildings are named after?"

My first assignment as a director in college was to direct an O. Henry one act. For the record, all O. Henry one acts are awful. Like....awful. Should not be plays. In my opinion, they should barely be short stories. I am not a fan.

Anyway, it was me and two other directors and instead of one 20-minute show I did two 10-minute shows. Looking back, I'm glad I've learned so much since then. And I'm also really glad no one caught these on film.


Trust me, my actors did a good job with what they were given. All of us just had very little to work with. Won a design award for it, though.

5 comments:

theolivetree said...

congrats on the award! I played a dead body in my high school play once...that was it...my acting career was over :)

Patchie said...

My on-stage debut was a one-night-only deal where I "played" the violin on a balcony for one scene in Romeo and Juliet because the actress had a death in the family and I fit into her costume. I stick backstage! Haha

The Book Florist said...

My on-stage debut was as a pantomime clown in a clowning unit in grade nine drama, and since then I've been an extra in the musical, 'The Poet's Circus', one of the main characters in Australian gothic play, 'Children of the Black Skirt', Queen Titania in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', and Amanda in 'The Glass Menagerie'. But drama is a big deal for me as I'm going to major in it at university. Lots of fun!

Anyway, congratulations on the award, and really, it's quite a lovely, funny story even if the acts were frustrating to work with. The pictures are very good, too, by the way. Take care.

Jo said...

It looks wonderful! I love the set design! <3


x
Lost in the Haze

Patchie said...

TBF: That's fantastic! Let me know how you like being a theatre major - I will 110% relate :-)

Jo: Thank you! It helped that the set designer was one of my best friends which made it really easy to work together and we spoke the same language. Always a bonus!