July 8, 2011

Patchie [Meets]

The National Harbor is still a relatively new destination in the DC area. The first time I went there were maybe 5 things that were open and everything else was still under construction. Int the last three years the place has exploded - numerous shops and restaurants and bars, and it's still only the beginning. There's going to be a Children's Museum in the future, and even a Disney resort. And of course you can't forget the Gaylord Hotel - swanky and extravagant doesn't even begin to cover it!

The National Harbor has a ton of different festivals during the warmer months too, and I've always wanted to hit one. Because they are usually food related the tickets are expensive, I hadn't gone to one yet. But when the Uncle Sam Jam was being held there this year, I found out The Wailers were performing, and tickets were on Living Social for only $20, I couldn't resist. So I bought a pair of tickets and dragged Marizabeth with me!
 It's July and it was hot, but this was one of the hotter days we'd had so far. And frankly I have been to much better festivals, even in the pouring rain. But we stuck it out, drinking way too strong of drinks and eating some pretty fantastic food. I knew they payoff would be worth it. The sun just had to set a little.
The Wailers were almost an hour late going on because their flight had been delayed and all sorts of other stuff happened, but they played their full set anyways. I stood there listening to them perform songs that they used to perform with Bob Marley himself, and I couldn't contain the smile on my face - I was standing with thousands of people watching the greatest reggae band in the world. We sang along and danced and at one point I texted my brother telling him how awesome they are, because he saw them years ago. "I told you!"
Oh, and we totally met them. We met most of the band, but these were the only pictures we managed to snag. Fourth of July success.

This weekend includes an Irish Festival, a huge bonfire, and then a whole lot of recovering on Sunday. I really am fortunate to live someplace where festivals are going on constantly in the warmer months. I used to not go very often, but lately I just want to make the most out of living in this area and really go out and do things.

Do you have any big plans this weekend? Any local festivals you've attended/are going to attend recently?

1 comment:

theolivetree said...

WE have to small kids so festivals are a form of crazy for us! Hopefully in a few years it will be a little easier ;)