July 16, 2011

Etsy [Weekend!]: Harry Potter


I very, very much resisted reading the Harry Potter books. I was in high school by the time the had come out, and I was convinced they were kids books. Why would I want to read kids books? Kids books aren't good reads, I knew that way before Twilight came out!

I had my wisdom teeth pulled the summer after I graduated high school and for some strange reason I could read but watching TV or looking at a computer made me sick (which is apparently the exact opposite of anyone else I've ever talked to). My boyfriend at the time stopped by on his way to work and slapped the first four books in front of me. "You liked the first two movies. Just read them."

I read the first four in three days. A week later at the airport I had my dad buy me the fifth one before I boarded the plane to The Cape. Almost overnight I became an addict.

Ten years is a long time, especially to those in my brother's generation who had just hit the Harry Potter reading level when the first one came out. I am convinced that as hard as Lord of the Rings tried, Harry Potter is our generation's Star Wars.

I see the movie Sunday evening, and I am fully prepared to cry through the entire thing. It's silly that we get so into fictional characters, but ten years is a long time to not only read an epic story unfold, but watch actors and characters grow up. A friend wrote a short column here that sums up some of it, too.

Anyway, as I was browsing Etsy I noticed there's some really cool Potterverse stuff out there. So you're getting a special weekend edition!











Are you seeing the movie? I'd love to hear what you think!

3 comments:

Robin said...

I have a similar story of resisting the novels, I posted it as a FB note some long time ago. I don't blog, if I did I'd have to give up FB, I am very much a one social forum at a time person.

I must have the snitch watch

Rob-- er, Squeebie

Autumn said...

I saw the movie...and I felt so sad afterwards that it was all over! I don't think I heard about the novel until the second one was out.

I grew up with the characters. They were the same age as me. They hit puberty when I hit puberty. They started liking the opposite sex when I did. I related to it more than any other fictional book I had read...and THEN it had all of the fun magical stuff. I loved it.

Marizabeth said...

I just wrote a post about this too (http://marizabeth.blogspot.com/2011/07/etsy-monday-outsourced-farewell-harry.html; because we are equally nerdy and I love it)! The books came out in the States in 1998, and that was when I began reading them. I did stop for a while because it became too difficult to get my hands on the books; Potter got popular! It is the end of an era, and I predict we will see more copy cats on the rise (think of Twilight and the huge upswing in YA vampire fiction), but no other series can really capture the hearts and imaginations or children and adults alike as the HP Phenomenon.