May 25, 2011

Way Back When[sday]: Chrissy's Love

Chrissy (one of the two friends from college I'm going to visit in Tennessee when I leave tomorrow) loves her friends. And I mean loves her friends. It was taken the wrong way a lot in college by those on the outside - that she was trying to control us or was clingy, but that wasn't the case. We kept ourselves close to her because it was hard to find someone that genuine in a college full of young adults and a department full of actors. She would do anything for us, and we would do the same.

She graduated a year before the rest of us and got a fantastic theatre job out in California. Over that year when we were almost all in the same place she came to visit us a few times - she flew from California to North Carolina for a visit that was less than 36 hours. How many people do you know that would do that?

Her first visit she missed Sara because Sara was out in Chicago auditioning for grad school (ironically enough, Sara also ended up in California). Sara's birthday was the day after she came back, but Chrissy would be gone by then. Chrissy wanted to do something special and so she worked her magic.

We made a run to Party City and bought supplies, all in Sara's favorite colors. We blew up over 150 balloons by hand and filled her dorm room (by the end it was up to our thighs. It was intense.). We hung streamers and hid over 100 tiny dinosaur figures all over the place. We hung banners and left birthday cards and in the end pushed in the last few balloons before shutting the door as quickly as we could so nothing would escape. My favorite part of the whole thing was we decided to wrap random things in her room - not only did we wrap the presents we had gotten her but we wrapped things she already owned. That way when she started opening stuff she had no idea what would be inside. Except for the toilet - we're pretty sure she figured that one out pretty quick.

No, really. (P.S. - Hi, Darrin!)

We were able to do all this becuase the RA on duty was a fellow theatre major, and Chrissy is pretty darn convincing when she sets her mind to it.

Not even half the balloons.

Sara came home to an explosion of balloons. She kept them around for weeks. Months later she was still finding dinosaurs. Last time we talked about it, she still laughed at the memory.

I have so many wonderful memories of my own like this with Chrissy. I haven't seen her in over a year, and I am beyond excited to create more moments together that I can look back on and laugh about for years. I touch down at 9:40 tomorrow morning and stay until Sunday afternoon. I can't wait. I hope you have a wonderful remainder of the week and a wonderful weekend, readers! Go out and do something fun!

3 comments:

Sweetie said...

What a great story! This is why I regret not living the real college life - forging friendships - that wind up lasting a lifetime, like the one you speak of here. Cherish your time in TN this weekend with your dear friend. Have fun and can't wait to see the photos!

Patchie said...

Sweetie - even though I don't keep in great contact with a lot of the people I went to college with, I am glad I met every single one of them, because they have each taught me something (good or bad). I wouldn't trade those years (or the years in my apartment/dorm) for anything, they were so much fun!

Marizabeth said...

I remember you telling me this story once! I still love the idea of finding a million plastic dinosaurs around the house... maybe one day something ridiculous will happen to me! haha Sweetie... I am in your boat. I went to college for one year, and was basically miserable. I made a few friends, but I don't talk to any of them on a regular basis. Have fun in TN Patchie! I will miss you... and I bet The Boy will be living on our couch while you're away. :)