May 4, 2011

Patchie [Dreams]

I want to share with you one of my favorite faire performers of all time. Her name is Twig the Fairy, and she is the definition of magic.

The first time I ever saw her was at the North Carolina Renaissance Festival. Sometimes it's hard to tell who does and doesn't work for a festival because some people get so into their costumes and some of them even make up characters for themselves (even before I started working at MDRF I've been stopped for directions, asked how much items cost in shops, and asked for faire information no matter where I go). I spotted Twig from across a walkway and my friend and I just stopped and watched her for awhile. They way she interacted with kids and adults alike was simply magical. We found ourselves with big silly grins on our face just watching her. Since leaving North Carolina, I hadn't seen her since and that made me sad.

And then she was at Spoutwood.

I knew she was going to be there because I follow her Facebook (which always brings a smile to my face) and she said she would be. As we (Alex, Alicia, and I) were rounding a corner, I saw her. "There!" I said, and the other two looked around. She was actually purchasing another set of wings as we stood there, so her back was to us. The second she turned around, the girls gasped. She is breathtaking, and on a day that was drizzly and cloudy and I felt like I just wanted to curl up and sleep forever because I was sick, she made me smile and the day became so much brighter.

  
 This all sounds a little silly, and I'm fully aware of it. She's a person, a performer, an actor - I am surrounded by such on a daily basis. But I think that's why it's so special for me - when I can get lost in someone's persona, forget for a little while that they go back to their car at the end of the day like the rest of us, shed their wings and throw on a pair of jeans, it really is magical for me.

If you ever have the opportunity to see her, take the time to do so. Her schedule is on her website, and I wish she was in this area more often. Seeing her again though makes me think about hitting North Carolina this fall!

4 comments:

Marizabeth said...

She looks SO familiar to me, but it must be "one of those faces" because I can't think of where I would have seen her. Also, it is strange to think of Faire people jumping into jeans and driving home at the end of the day. I guess I never thought about it... even after knowing you for so long! ha. Weird.

Momma Lisa said...

No wonder I couldn't find you on Ravelry ... I spelled Patchie wrong.

I've been so tempted to use collages on my blog instead of individual pictures, but haven't yet ... your awesome collages might just push me over the edge.

Oh, I wanted to introduce you to my friend, Kirky http://knitoneblogtwo.wordpress.com/
... you'll love her!

Hope you are feeling better. I'm going to enjoy some more of your blog now. ;)

The Book Florist said...

The costuming is beautiful isn't it? The whole drama department where I am would be riddled with envy not to have such a great costume! I reckon that is something I could do.

Patchie said...

Marizabeth - I've talked about her a lot and posted pictures on facebook before.

Lisa - I use Picasa and it does all the work for you - check into it, it's free!

The Book florist - Good, quality faire costumes are EXPENSIVE. My collection alone is worth over $1000 at this point, and mine isn't even that impressive. But the end result is worth it!