May 24, 2011

Patchie [Discovers]

I am learning through cooking, baking, knitting, theatre, blogging, and life that experimenting and winging it doesn't always lead to disaster. I'm a planner and I don't like failure or wasting time, and when I go "oh, what the heck," knit for 18 hours and wind up with a hat that won't close at the top or gloves with a finger coming out of the center of the palm I get really frustrated. I'm learning to take it in stride and chalk it up as a learning experience. Besides, when has anyone ever failed and not learned a thing?

Saturday I had one of those moments. I had one tub of icing and 20 cupcakes to ice, so I had very little wiggle room. But white icing is boring, and my attempt at shades of blue turned into "You're having a baby boy!" really quickly and wouldn't get darker. And then a passing thought of "I wonder if I could make purple" quickly turned into the vocalization of "hey look, purple!"

I encourage you to embrace these moments, because it's too easy to get discouraged. I'm not very good at it so far, but I'm learning. Can you think of a little moment of triumph when a small risk (like food coloring in icing) paid off? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

Marizabeth said...

You crack me up. I love that you called to explain the icing situation... "it was all 'you're having a baby boy' blue so I added red and kept mixing until I got purple... and it was a really pretty purple, so I added silver sprinkles and when I was done they were 'you're getting married' cupcakes."

hahahahaha I love you.

I never plan. I always just do. And so far, my life seems to be a little risk that turned out okay...