May 6, 2011

Patchie [Bakes]

 What? Don't give me that look. I was baking. If I was drinking, someone else would be behind the camera and the picture would be slightly out of focus with me passed out in my pajamas, the bottle just out of reach.

They were originally for a Weekly Dinner with Jim & Sweetie, but due to conflicting schedules it had to be cancelled. I had already talked about them at work, and people wanted cupcakes. So I made them anyways.
Margarita Cupcakes, found over on Homemade by Holman. They are pretty simple: essentially buy a box of white cake mix and instead of adding water dump in a margarita. Also, they are technically alcoholic, as in there is a whopping 2oz of tequila in 24 cupcakes. Plus baking them the alcohol bakes out, much like cooking with wine. So while I don't suggest taking them to your nephew's 5th Birthday Party, no one's getting drunk off these things.

This was also the first time I ever made icing from scratch, and while it was the hardest part of this recipe it was in no way difficult. I have a strong suggestion though with the icing: taste as you go. I am about 99% sure I put in a whole cup less of sugar than it called for (although I could have miscounted), and it was plenty sweet. I suggest adding in a little at a time past 2 cups. Same with the lime juice - past 2 tbs, taste as you add. My icing was a little closer to key lime pie. But now I know for next time!

I also tried the "ziploc bag" method for the first time for both the cupcakes and the icing, snipping off a corner so distribution is easier, and it totally works!

They were a hit at work, a hit at home, and I still have a few left over I may deliver to a few people today or tomorrow. I also have a Cinco de Mayo-themed bonfire Saturday night that I might make them again for, only this time with store-bought icing because I'm not going to have as much time to prepare them. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and a Happy Mothers Day to all you moms out there! Do you have any exciting plans?

3 comments:

Marizabeth said...

Yes please cupcake!

Patchie said...

I think that can be arranged.

Here Under the Rainbow said...

I may whipped this up for Mother's Day and see the look on my mum's ultra conservative face after eating 2 or 3 of this. She can get smashed on a tiny drop of liquor.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you stop back by again soon. Enjoy your weekend.