April 1, 2011

Patchie [Writes]


To The Boy:


Tomorrow, we turn One. This letter is a day early because we have your cousin's wedding tomorrow and a birthday bonfire right afterwards, and I don't think I'm going to be able to hit a computer. Better early than late. We went back and forth about whether our anniversary should be tomorrow or the first time we kissed. I figure why not celebrate both! Plus April 2, 2010 was such a perfect day from start to finish, where I wasn't even sure if you were showing up to the bar on St Patrick's Day. I remember you looking over at me driving home from dinner after a full day in DC with the Cherry Blossoms and asking me to really be with you, and then I couldn't stop smiling. I hadn't stopped smiling all day. And then I remember sitting in the car outside my house for a few minutes talking, and right before I got out of the car we had that awkward few seconds of saying to one another "so just to be clear, this is like, official now, right?" and laughing at how silly it was.


I have never been less afraid to be myself, to share my feelings and thoughts and fears and hopes and dreams with someone. I have never felt more comfortable. You make me want to be a better person, and therefore you do make me a better person. I am thankful daily that we have found each other, and I try not to take a single moment for granted.


Thank you for standing beside me, supporting me, and listening. Thank you for talking rather than fighting. Thank you for being ok with the fact that sometimes I fall asleep at 9:30 and am therefore completely incoherent when you leave for the night. Thank you for letting me crash your place as often as we can. Thank you for going to find one of our kitties to snuggle with us when I'm stressed or sad or sick. Thank you for always knowing how to make me smile. Thank you for always taking care of me. This time last year we were flirty and giddy and still trying to figure each other out.


We knew this was something really good. I don't think we knew what we getting in to, and I certainly don't think we knew what we know now: we're soulmates.


Here's to our first year, love, and here's to the rest of forever.


Love, Me.

5 comments:

Draper said...

Here is to us. You know exactly what to say and how to say it. You are so wonderful, and know-how to keep me smiling through the entire day, and always make me feel absolutely comfortable and relaxed. I know I will love you forever and can't wait to spend our years together! You are everything, my love, my laughter, my center, and my friend, and you are the person I have needed most. I love you, will always love you, and will hold you until the end of eternity.

Renée said...

Aww so sweet!!

Marizabeth said...

You two are so cute. I am gonna be sick. But, as a friend to both of you, I couldn't be happier that you found each other. Even if it sometimes makes me queasy. Because you are just too. Damn. Cute. :)

Diana E.S. said...

Yay, love! It is of the happy making variety.

theolivetree said...

What a sweet post! I saw your comment on cinnamon butter...oh wow...I'm drooling...sounds delish!