April 25, 2011

Patchie [Visits]

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! I spent Easter with The Boy's family, eating so much good food and in good conversations. We wrapped up the day with The Simpsons Movie and dozing off here and there. It made for a great ending to the weekend.

Saturday I woke up early and headed into DC to visit Kristen - a friend from college who now lives close by and I don't see nearly enough (it has been about 7 months - too long!). It had been so long, in fact, that I hadn't seen her new place - she went from a top floor tiny apartment to a very nice townhome in a nicer part of town. To show off she cooked me a delicious breakfast, and then we headed off to a place in DC I had never been - The Eastern Market!



Even as someone who has a lot of options for farmers markets locally, this place was impressive. So many types of plants and produce and meats and baked goods and handmade candles and jewelry and pottery - you could spend hours there (and we did!). The colors are so bold and the weather was so fantastic Saturday that it really made it feel like spring is here and we're rolling our way into summer. This isn't even a fraction of the pictures I took, but I didn't want to bore you with too many pictures of greenery.



The Eastern Market is certainly more impressive and larger on the weekends, but apparently the indoor section is open all week and there is plenty in there to look at, too. For those who live in DC and can't get out to local farms and buy local eggs or meats or seafood, this place is a mecca. I was proud of myself and spent very little (I walked away with a tiny pottery dish that is going to help me with keeping all my jewelry straight and an awesome tea-for-one infuser that's actually from a store nearby), but the temptation was huge. Take cash, and eat before you go - the food carts would be way too much to resist on an empty stomach!


I find myself playing tour guide about 90% of the time I go into the city - showing people around, taking them new places, or knowing of events and festivals that are going on. It's a rare treat to be the tourist in a city I've grown up around, and I embrace it whenever I can. This was one of those trips, and I loved it! Did you have any new experiences or adventures this weekend?

3 comments:

Marizabeth said...

We are so going sometime. I need to buy a pomegranate!!! haha

Patchie said...

We will! It's a nice change from the touristy parts of town, and there are SO MANY good places to grab lunch and an ice cream/cupcake, too!

Michaela said...

Glad you had a good weekend! I went to my roommates aunt's house for Easter since the flights home and too expensive!