April 26, 2011

Patchie [Plans]

I don't know if it was the after effect of seeing Kristen on Saturday or the fact that Sunday was a holiday, but I woke up Sunday morning finding myself really missing people - I missed my family in other states. I missed friends I hadn't seen in months or years. I missed people who had passed away either recently or awhile ago. I took some time to myself and made a few phone calls. I told people I loved them and missed them. I made plans for visiting. But some of them are harder than others - they are across the country or in states where there aren't very many afforadble or practical ways to travel there (13+ hours in a car for a one day visit is hard to justify).

In particular is Chrissy. She's one of my best friends from college and it's been years since I've seen her. She doesn't live that far, but the mountains make the trip too long to drive for a weekend visit. Plane tickets are stupid expensive. But I miss her, a lot. And another one of the gang, Eric, has moved in with her recently. I'd be able to see them both in one trip, only if I could afford it.

The next day, on a whim, I looked up plane tickets. I found something unbelievably cheap compared to other prices. I confirmed dates and clicked the "purchase" button.

Memorial Day Weekend, Patchie has a new destination:


2 comments:

Marizabeth said...

Nice! Is The Boy going with you? Or should we expect to see him a lot for the weekend? ;) haha

I've been thinking a lot about people I haven't seen in forever too. Especially today, I keep thinking about how it's been exactly one month since Bobby passed. I wish I could call up all the people I care about and keep them on the property in a massive camp out. And somehow provide food and water for all and eternal safety. And reap memories and smiles and music and generally amazing times from it. Because like you, I can't just show up in Germany and see family, or ride my bike to Colorado or Michigan or even New York or Connecticut to visit my cousins. Or hop the Pond over to Scotland and visit or skate to Africa to visit my Peace Corps friends.

But I guess I can keep them all in my mind and take cheaper mini vacations with Skype? haha

Hope you have a lovely time visiting your friends!

Patchie said...

The Boy had to choose between Nashville and The Cape, and he made a good choice - I'll be flying this one solo. Literally flying - and I haven't flown in about 3 or 4 years and my last experience wasn't great. So that's making me a little nervous. At least this one is a much shorter flight than the last!