April 6, 2011

Patchie [Explores]

On our wanderings Sunday we swung into the Natural History Museum. This has always been one of my favorites, and it's certainly not the museum I went of field trips to all through elementary school. Everything has been updated and a lot of the museum is now interactive. The Smithsonian museums get a lot of special exhibits in throughout the year, and we visited two of them on this trip - the orchids (which I will post about later and has moved on), and one that is still there - the crochet coral reef. Not gonna lie - I yarngasmed.





It's massive and there is so much to take in. I don't think it's possible to notice everything without spending hours in there. Because it was one of the busiest tourist weekends of the year for DC it was pretty crowded, but we were still able to get up close and see most of it. I was loving it! While I'm more of a knitter, I did start with crochet and I still revisit it once in awhile. If you are in DC, even if you don't work with yarn, this is too cool to pass up!

4 comments:

Ashley Slater said...

SUCH cool pictures! awesome!

Patchie said...

Thank you! It was such a cool thing to finally see. The rotating exhibits really give us "locals" something new to look at every trip, too!

Marizabeth said...

I haven't been to the Smithsonian in sooooo long. I kinda wanna see the crochet coral reef... badly. And... maybe when we begin my lessons we can make a half-assed version, yes? hehe

Patchie said...

Haha, we will make something!