March 29, 2011

Patchie [Shifts]


Now that the news has been made official, I can share it with you and why I was so bummed a week ago: the duo that I have worked with at the Renaissance Festival for the last two years were not asked back and have been "rotated out."


I understand bringing in new things. I support the Renaissance Festival. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. This doesn't mean that faire is over - I'm contacting other groups to see if they need help. But my deal with the boys was so sweet it's gonna be hard to compare. I loved the people I worked with, the fact that I wasn't stuck in a shop all day, and that I was still doing theatre. Something that offers none of the above I will be less likely interested in it (but still willing to entertain the idea). Even if I don't get a job there, it will not stop me from going. I will purchase a season pass, I will go almost every single day if not every day, and I will still enjoy myself. But a piece of it will be missing for me.


My absolute favorite time at faire was that hour before the gates opened. It was quiet and peaceful and friendly and magical, walking across the grounds to get to the stage. That and spending all day every day with the girls I worked with is what I'll miss most. But there are pros to go with the cons. Working The Christmas Show has allowed me to meet and form relationships with a lot of the other performers, but since getting to know them personally I haven't been able to see any of their shows. Being a patron means I can see them all. When friends come to faire I can spend more than 20 minutes with them here or there. All 400 of my faire pictures won't be in the same exact location. I will not miss working 7 days a week, surviving on little to no sleep, not being able to leave when I want to, and having to figure out something new to wear every 100 degree day.


While it's listed as a "hiatus," it still feels like the end of a very important and influential portion of my life. I became a part of the Hack & Slash family at a time that was so important for me to feel like I belonged to something and I didn't realize it until a year later. I have formed some seriously strong bonds and have met some awesome people that I wish I saw more. I'm going to miss laughing until I cry daily. But plans are in the works and like I said earlier, it's not over. It's just a new chapter. And I'm looking forward to the new experiences it brings.

2 comments:

Marizabeth said...

I'm still bummed for you and will go with you any time you want to go. RennFest is such a huge part of your life, I know you'll miss it. xo

Patchie said...

Yeah, I'm still bummed too. But you know I'll still be up there every chance I get!