March 16, 2011

Patchie [Hikes]

Saturday in the valley the weather was reasonably warm. We decided this would be a good day to hike. We were going to to do one of my favorite things - hike to a waterfall!

We jumped on Skyline Drive which is all sorts of pretty, even without any greenery in bloom. It was suggested to us to take a short 1/2 mile hike to Little Stony Man first, which offers a great view of the valley. Pulling into the parking area we talked to a few hikers and told them our game plan. They warned us that not only is the waterfall hike super steep, but because of the amount of rain they had gotten a few days before it was also super muddy. Taking their advice, we opted for Stony Man Summit - the top of the highest peak in Shenandoah National Park at 4400 feet.

The view? Totally worth it. The wind? Intense. The temperature? Very cold. We took it all in, but did not last long.

On our way back down we explored the path a bit more than on the way up, stopping to take goofy pictures and climbing on the rocks.
It was a cold hike, to say the least. We spent the rest of our time driving the Skyline Drive and stopping at various overlooks. I can't imagine what it would look like in late spring, or even the fall with all the colored leaves!

Since we skipped a second hike in the mountains (we were kinda muddy as it was), we went to downtown Luray and took a stroll along the creek that cuts through downtown and has a wonderful walking path. It's a creek stocked with trout so there were people fishing as well. I wish there was something like that close to where we live! It was a nice relaxing walk and a great way to wrap up the day.

We spent another night in the Speakeasy where I had the best cosmo I have ever tasted. Instead of sitting at the bar we wound up in a booth (there was no room at the bar - sorry, Jim!). A group of 6 sat beside us and holy cheese balls were they pretentious. One of them would not stop talking about how Boston was the greatest city in the world, and worked it into every. single. conversation. I was a little bummed though - by the time we thought to turn it into a drinking game he had given up, and they let shortly after. At one point The Boy looked at me and said "if I ever get that way, shoot me." I reassured him with a smile on my face. "Don't worry. I will."

3 comments:

Marizabeth said...

Hahaha, I am now trying to imagine those conversations. "You know, I really love a good hamburger, Joe!" "Hmmm, yessss, but the best ones come from Boston, the greatest city in the world, hmmmm." Teehee

Kim said...

Looks like you had a great time.

I love the Valley. Went there a lot as a kid visiting grandparents and other assorted relatives. My Mom lives there now and I do whenever I can.

Did a lot of cavern excursions too. Always loved it.

Patchie said...

We had a great time! I did a lot of hiking when I lived in NC, but haven't done much in MD/VA. Gotta fix that!