August 24, 2010

Patchie [Parades]

Our first day on The Cape we were sitting on my grandmother's front lawn with one of my cousins, discussing any plans we had for the week. I mentioned going to PTown on Saturday. "You should go tomorrow," my cousin said. "It's Carnival week, and tomorrow's the parade."

The next morning we found wifi, looked up to make sure the parade was that day, and were off for a full day in PTown!
I have never had more fun at a parade. Newspapers guessed there were over 40,000 people there, and I believe it. The streets were packed, the gays were out in all their glory (cross dressed, barely dressed, you name it), and the music was loud. I wanted The Boy to get a good taste of PTown's local color, and I wound up getting more than I ever had. It was a fantastic day, albeit crowded. We ate wonderful food and spent some time down by the water, too. It was a great way to start a vacation: a high energy day, so that the lazier days that followed felt all the better.
I tell you what, though. The theme was Jungle Fever, but they should have just given in and made it Lady GaGa 2010. The amount of GaGa walking around was amazing and almost every float was blasting her music, but my personal GaGa highlight was the woman playing "Bad Romance" on the accordion.

No comments: