May 19, 2010

Patchie [Recovers]

I, like everyone else on the planet, get touches of illness here and there all winter. Case of the sniffles, a little cough, a sore throat. I luck out - I've never gotten the flu shot. I wash my hands and keep up with my vitamins and antioxidants and therefore it's been years since I've gotten the flu. I've never had strep or mono or any of those things that people fight with sometimes yearly. But once in awhile - roughly every five years or more, I get sick. And last week was one of those times.

The last time it happened was my junior year of high school. I had bronchitis, pneumonia and the flu all at once. This was immediately followed by some 4-week-long stomach infection thing which eventually led to my acid reflux which I still have to this day, as well as me dropping 20 pounds when I very much did not need to lose it. Last week was not nearly that bad.

But what did happen was the lymph node glands in my neck swelled so bad I couldn't move my head. And my tonsils were so swollen it was hard to swallow. And I probably drank about eight bottles of water a day. No fever, no stomach issues, but lots of congestion. After being down for five days (which never happens), I finally gave up and went to the doctor. Long story short, all the test results came back yesterday and everything came back negative. But they had put on an antibiotic for probably only the second time in my life, and boy do I feel better. Still a tiny bit of swelling left, but nothing like before. My health care is lame and the visit and meds were damn expensive (plus a week off work unpaid), but it was clearly worth it. And this is why I support the new health care bill. I'll be able to get back on my parents plan for at least another year and a half and I probably would have gone to the doctor three days earlier because the impending doom of the bill wouldn't have been so scary.

So I've been celebrating feeling better all week, and also because today is my birthday and everyone should celebrate the entire week. You survived another year! Embrace it!

No comments: