May 26, 2010

Patchie [Grills]

My family are big pasta and potato eaters. And when I say "big," I don't want you to take that lightly. I mean literally every single dinner we have is pasta or potato based. I love pasta. I love it a little too much. I love it so much I need to stop eating it before I become really doughy.

I'm looking to drop a few pounds because it's summer and I think everyone tries to drop a few pounds in the summer. I told mom I was going to start making my own meals a few times a week to try to cut out some of the empty carbs. She asked for an example of what I'd make. So I showed her.

Above is a flank steak with Korean Marinade and it is so simple I can do it. The link has soy sauce listed, but I used teriyaki. Below is the recipe with my variations!

  • 1 flank steak, about 1.75 lbs
  • 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1/4 cup green onion, cut into pieces
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all the above ingredients, stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. In a resealable bag, add steaks and marinade for at least 2 hours (I marinaded for about 4).

When ready to cook, turn the grill on high and let it get nice and hot (about 400 degrees). Put the meat onto the grill, and turn after about a minute to sear both sides. Then cook on each side anywhere from 5 - 9 minutes, depending on desired doneness (I like medium well, I did about 8 minutes per side). Remove from grill, let set for 10 minutes in a covered dish to trap in the juices. Cut in thin slices opposite the grain of the meat, and serve!

It's a sweet marinade that is sure to become a summertime staple in our house. After dinner was over, my brother looked at me and said "when are you making this again?"

No comments: