February 17, 2010

Patchie [Reflects]

Exactly one year ago today almost down to the hour, I opened the first "main stage" show I ever directed. I had dabbled in one acts before that were part of a showcase, but never had something to call my own. One year ago today, I wrote this:

The day before Q2Q I sat down with the cast and told them to just have fun. I knew I was going to. I had worked five years for this one show when it comes down to it. They get to act every year. And I told them about the uncertainty of my career choices. I may never get to direct again. It's not that I don't want to. This show proved to me that I'm good at it. It's just that there aren't that many opportunities out there. But if this is the last thing I get to direct, I'm ok with that. I love this show. I haven't loved a show like this since Midsummer or Back Story....I wish there was a way to get everyone from home here to see it, to show them that all the tears and the anger and the time away has really turned into something valuable and it was completely worth it.

In two days, I will have the opportunity to have a one-night-only local engagement of "The American Century" - the show that I took to states as a director and won; less than a year after my official directing debut.

And you know what? That's really pretty cool.

1 comment:

Uncle Keith said...

It's very cool!