November 22, 2009

Patchie [Influences]


The Kid and I have been sucking up as many of the warm days this year has left that we possibly can, and have spent the majority of them outside. We've gone to parks and playgrounds and she's run around and burned off some energy while I relax and knit and watch her and get my head on straight. It's really been rather enjoyable.

On one of the rainy days (and trust me, there have been a lot of rainy days) I had to go to the food store for the family. So I hauled a very hyper Kid into the car, pulled out of the driveway, and she was passed the hell out. Now, I am no mother. While I have more motherly instinct than I give myself credit for, I still get a lot of the little things wrong (don't mention ice cream in front of her ballet class of 15, for example). But I certainly know better than to wake up a sleeping kid to go into something as mundane as a food store. Especially since Kid is getting big, and I'm not pushing her ass around in a cart. So I sat in the car for over an hour while she slept, texting friends and listening to classic rock. And honestly, it was rather enjoyable.

So The Kid wakes up all disoriented and we get into the food store, and she looks to her left. There is a huge Christmas display full of brightly colored cardboard Santas and snowmen stuffed with candy, cookies, sodas, and other holiday treats. The Kid stops and looks at it for a minute. Then she throws her hands down at her side, looks at me, and goes "Oh, it is WAY too early to be selling Christmas things."

AMEN, KID.

About a week earlier, we had seen Christmas trees being sold, and she asked "are those for Christmas?!" And I told her yes, but it was silly because they certainly wouldn't live long enough to last until Christmas. And I've said or done a lot of things in front of her that I've noticed her picking up...saying "yeah" and "yup" instead of "yes" all the time, for example. But man did this stick with her and is she running with it. Friday she was watching TV while I was making her lunch, and with every holiday commercial she'd whine "it's too earrrrrrrrrly for this!"

I bet her parents love me.

A friend suggested I get her hooked on caffeine and coffee, because no nanny leaves a mark on a family like one who left behind a caffeine addict. While it would be entertaining, I'm enjoying shaping her in much subtler ways. That kid needs a bad influence, and I'm happy to be it.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I completely agree with both of you about being too early for Christmas things. I'm more amazed by it every year.

Glad things are going well for you.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Patchie said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!