October 16, 2009

Patchie [Reads]


I am not a casual reader. And when I say that, I mean I don't read a few pages or one chapter a night or here and there and take my time with books. When I find a book, I power through it like it's going to be taken from me at any moment. In fact, if it's a really good book I'll be antisocial and stay in for the night to read instead of going out with people.

The above book, Lamb by Christopher Moore was one of those books, even though it took me a good month to read because life is insane with a side of crazy right now. Every once in a rare while I'll find a book with characters and a story that leaves me almost depressed when it ends because there's nothing left to discover and Lamb can be easily added to that list.

The book is about Christ's childhood, as told from the point of view of his best friend. The humor can be bawdy and is very much in the style of Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett, but the thing that really surprised me was that I found it in no way insulting to religion at any given point. I mean, I am not an easily insulted individual so I might be disagreed with. But in the author's note he states that what he hopes people might get out of this book is to love thy neighbor maybe a little more, and I feel he really accomplished it.

Definitely worth a read. I've moved on to Fool by Moore, and I'm only just getting out of the back story, but I'm not as attached as I was with Lamb, which is a little sad. But I will let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Uncle Keith said...

The cover looks very Terry Pratchett.

Patchie said...

The only book I've ever truly enjoyed of Pratchett's was Good Omens, which he wrote with Neil Gaiman. Everything about him I should love, but I just can't get through any of it.

Long story short, I agree with you. Haha.