August 11, 2009

Patchie [Travels]

Technically, we began our trip outside of Philly. My Aunt and Uncle just moved there about five weeks ago, and we wanted to see their new house (And them, of course). It was a great visit and I was able to not only cover a lot of ground personally in conversations with my Aunt, but I also got her onto facebook. A successful night.

Next stop was my parents hometown in New Jersey to visit more family, and I always feel at home there and love to spend extra time there when I can, so my brother and I decided to take a full day, and spend some of it in NYC.

The main attraction was Bodies: The Exhibition which is location on Pier 17. It was about $30 to get in and growing up with the Smithsonian's I am a little adverse to paying for museums, but man was it worth it. I was worried about getting squeamish (I am horrible with medical stuff. It's almost sad how bad I am), but I was so fascinated by it all Iwasn't even phased. Best part was the circulatory system room. I would so go again. After wandering around the pier for a bit we got into talking about the Rock & Roll Annex, which is now top of my list for the next trip (in fact, I think my next trip will be devoted to museums...I've always spent all my time int hat city inside theaters). My cousin told me about the Lennon Collection, and somehow it came up I'd never been to Strawberry Fields. And we were off!

After wandering around Central Park for awhile and hitting up the Dakota Apartment Building (where John Lennon was shot), we headed back home for some real New Jersey Pizza. Totally worth a trip to Jersey alone, if you've never had it. Came to find out we also got it from the place where Grandma had pizza for the first time ever back in the day. Other things seen in NYC include the Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, and of course the Empire State Building.
We also made a stop at Mystic Seaport in CT, but you had to pay to get in and we still had a good 2 1/2 hours to go, so we went to the overlook and then went on our way.

And now we are on The Cape, and the purging process has already begun. I've gotten a lot of thinking done, had a great talk with Grandma already, and gave myself today to sleep in, but will begin the morning walks and such starting tomorrow. I am making myself take at least 50 pictures a day (not that they all are going to be good) to really get back into it, and I will see as many sunsets as possible and at least one sunrise. It's been a rough few months. It's time to heal and come back renewed.

3 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

Sounds (and looks!) like a great vacation!

- Julie

Kindlekat said...

Glad you got to see so many things in NY! Classic trip

Patchie said...

It certainly was (and still is!) a great vacation!